Professional Interest Areas (PIAs)
Professional Interest Areas are an assembly of ISTAART members with common subspecialties or interests.
Current members should log in to the Member Center to access expanded PIA content.
- Provide a networking forum for ISTAART members.
- Offer members an opportunity to submit a Featured Research Session proposal for the Alzheimer's Association International Conference.
- Allow members to share their latest discoveries and techniques.
- Provide mentoring opportunities and career guidance to junior scientists and students.
- Promote collaboration on papers.
Generally, PIA members participate in quarterly conference calls and meet in person at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference® (AAIC®).
PIA Day and PIA Annual Business Meetings
PIA Day will take place in conjunction with AAIC on Saturday, July 30, 2022 in San Diego, USA and will include scientific sessions. Below is the PIA Day schedule:
8:15 - 8:45 am
ISTAART Overview and Introductions to PIAs
9:00 - 10:00 am
Lewy Body Dementias
Perioperative Cognition and Delirium
Reserve, Resilience and Protective Factors
Sleep and Circadian Rhythms
10:15 - 11:15 am
Clinical Trials Advancement and Methods
Frontotemporal Dementia and Related Disorders
Sex and Gender Differences in Alzheimer's Disease
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Atypical Alzheimer's Disease
Neuromodulatory Subcortical Systems
Nutrition, Metabolism and Dementia
Subjective Cognitive Decline
12:30 - 1:45 pm
Break and Boxed Lunches
2:00 - 3:00 pm
Diversity and Disparities
Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease
Immunity and Neurodegeneration
PIA to Elevate Early Career Researchers
The Eye as a Biomarker for AD
3:15 - 4:15 pm
Biofluid Based Biomarkers
Vascular Cognitive Disorders
PIA Annual Business Meetings will be virtual calls throughout the month of September 2022.
More information will be available in early Spring 2022.
How to join an existing PIA
- Visit the Member Center.
- Click on "Update Contact Information/Join a PIA."
- Check the boxes of the PIA(s) you would like to join.
- Email ISTAART@alz.org for assistance.
How to create a new PIA
- Interested organizers (4 required) must submit a completed application to create a new PIA. Download the application.
- Per the guidelines, a minimum of 25 members are required. (Any non-ISTAART members listed on the application will be required to join ISTAART within 30 days of PIA approval).
- Submit the application for the ISTAART Advisory Council's review (see application for dates).